Tuesday, May 9, 2023

The power of Master Duel

 Hello there. Its been a bit hasnt it?


As far as Yugioh goes, I still never play in paper anymore (I have a few decks collecting dust in my room somewhere). I have quit Duel Links, half because its a money pit with a constantly changing meta designed to make you spend money, and half because the definitive version (in my opinion) of Yugioh has released:


Master Duel!


In theory, Master Duel is everything i could ever want from a Yugioh game. A decent UI and a solo mode play around in, good matchmaking and a few fun modes to try out that rotate. 

It contains a great selection of cards which is also a huge plus. And it has a crafting system that is f2p friendly (and makes duel links look like a joke).

I've been playing Master Duel since release, and I'd be lying if I said it wasnt rough. Starting from not understanding link monsters and having no exposure to pretty much any yugioh card released in the last 7 years, the learning curve was almost a vertical wall. 

I lost. A lot. I misplayed. A lot. Like a huge amount of misplays. My knowledge from duel links afforded me almost no advantage in the era of modern Yugioh. Yet I stuck with the game, playing it on and off to the present day, and have assembled a stable of fun decks. 

Ive seen many metas come and go in Master Duel, some fun and some frustrating. And I'll be on this ride for the forseeable future. Now we come to the heart of why I felt the need to make this article. I think that this is the new best way to play Yugioh, and thats a good thing. Everyone can absorb Yugioh and learn at their own pace, as time allows. 

The financial commitment can be zero if you choose for it to be, the rewards from playing are generous and everything feeds into a sense of overall progression as you craft and pull staple cards that will be shared between all decks you make. You can play at your own pace, without the awkward need for interaction with Yugioh's sometimes shady community. Master Duel is finally a Yugioh sim that is good enough to support my intrest in the game without the feeling that Konami is just selling me one iteration of a game and another one will replace it next year.

This is THE definitive online Yugioh experience and I'm happy to see it. While the game follows closely in the footsteps of the TCG, its interesting to see where the paths diverge. The game has enough quirks and charm that I see myself playing it for years to come. Its finally good to have a nice outlet for my cumulative intrest in Yugioh. 


So I guess to make a long story short, I like Master Duel.


No comments:

Post a Comment